Thursday

Ramadhan 2013 : Entry #5

I have been ridiculously tired these few days, to the point that I'd fall dead to the world WAAAYY before Aina!! :p

NOT good, because she might sleep late, resulting in her being sleepy the next morning. BUT, so far, Alhamdulillah... she's not given me much trouble in that department.

Two weeks of Ramadhan, and I am glad to say that we have managed to avoid wastage in terms of food. Yes, sometimes our table may seem to be laden with loads of dishes, they are in small quantities, and we can usually finish it all :)

 
On Day 10, I actually had a friend and her family over. so I cooked a little more than usual, and it was just enough for all of us :) 
 
 
SOY SAUCE CHICKEN
 
you need:
chicken, cleaned and cut into pieces
potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
2 cloves garlic, sliced
4 shallots, sliced
3 slices ginger root
1 small stick cinnamon
1 small star-anise
2 Tbs thick soy sauce
3 Tbs oyster sauce
3 Tbs sweet soy sauce (I used lemak manis cap kipas udang)
3/4 cup water
 
how to:
heat oil and sauté cinnamon stick, star-anise, shallots, garlic & ginger til fragrant. add in the chicken pieces and cook until the chicken changes colour. add in all other ingredients and bring up to a boil. lower heat, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked and potato is tender.
 



Day 11 was Iftar at Mom's place, so obviously there was food all over the table! LOL! I only made a simple dessert, and the rest was Mom. Oh yeah... the kuih was from the local shop and it was only then that I managed to get my yummy kuih cara berlauk!! :D


 
I made bubur sum-sum on Day 13 since my BFF also LOVES it! It is ridiculously easy to make, and since it seems HUBBY also has taken to it, it'll  be repeated again soon :)
 
 
BUBUR SUM-SUM
 
you need:
A: 1 cup rice flour
     750ml coconut milk
     pandan leaves, knotted
 
B: 1 block gula Melaka, chopped
     2 Tbs white sugar
     1/4 cup water
     pandan leaves, knotted

how to:
place items A in a pot and place over low heat. stir throughout the cooking process, and continue cooking until the mixture comes together in a shiny, sticky, thick 'batter'. pour into a large baking tray and let cool. mixture will harden slightly; cut before serving. alternatively, pour a small amount into individual serving dishes.

place items B in a pot and place over low heat. cook until all sugar is dissolved. strain into bowl and cool before serving.

to serve : pour the sugar syrup over the rice 'pudding' and ENJOY!


I am usually NOT into desserts but every Ramadhan, I get the urge to make all sorts of traditional desserts and I have my favourites. Bubur Sum-Sum is one of them, also Sago Gula Melaka, and various types of pengat. Yuppss... I'm all for 'soupy' desserts, not so much for kuih-muih.

Anyway, here's wishing Happy Iftar to all, and let's make the rest of Ramadhan better for all of us :)





xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers