Monday

Ramadhan 2013 : Entry #2

Yep. I've been really bad at updating my blog. Actually, since it's been 'visited' and practically stalked, I have lost the 'heart' to write but I still feel the need to leave something here occasionally :)  Now that I have restricted views to this site, hopefully I will start getting into the mood again!

And so, I am sharing our Iftar menu here from day 3 & 4 :D

 
 
Hubby had to work outstation on day 3, so it was just me and Aina in front of the TV! Yes, I know it is an AWFUL habit but since it's just two of us, the dining table (seats 8) seemed really huge!! I LOVE to make refreshing i.e. 'cooling' drinks for Iftar, and the Barley & Gingko Nut drink was so yummy served lukewarm :D
 
 
BARLEY & GINGKO NUT DRINK
 
you  need:
a small handful of barley
1/2 (small) packet of fresh gingko nuts (you may used dried but have to soak them first)
honey rock sugar, to taste
pandan leaves, knotted
1.5 liters water
 
method:
combine all EXCEPT the sugar in a pot and bring up to a boil. lower  heat, add sugar, and simmer another 20 minutes or so until the barley has softened.  
 
Note: you may also add red dates if you like :)
 

 
On Day 4, we had Iftar at my sister-in-law's house and our contribution was spicy sweet & sour crabs. Hubby had ordered the crabs specially for this, and he managed to get around 5kgs.
 
 
SPICY SWEET & SOUR CRABS
 
you need:
 
1 - 1.5kg crabs
3 large garlic cloves    - pounded to a paste
1-inch piece of ginger - pounded to a paste
2 Tbs ground chilli paste
1 Tbs oyster sauce
2 Tbs sweet chilli sauce
2 Tbs tomato sauce
1/4 cup water (or more, if you want the sauce not too thick)
 
method:
 
crabs must be cleaned and steamed. set aside.
heat oil and fry ginger, garlic & chilli paste until fragrant. add in the sauces with the water and bring up to a boil. add int he crabs, mix well to coat, and simmer another 3 - 5 minutes. Serve immediately, garnished with torn fresh coriander leaves and roughly chopped spring onions.
 
 
And so here are two recipes which I am more than happy to share with my readers/visitors.  Hope you all have a blessed Ramadhan ahead!
 
 
 
 
 
xoxo

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers